After much soul-searching and watching-where-my-life-is-taking-me-in-the-foreseeable-future, it has come time to announce (after this upcoming season) my pending retirement as Managing Director of the Northern Utah Youth Symphony. Hence, the following notice.
Please help us network, passing it on to music teachers, musician friends, colleagues, and whoever might know someone who knows someone who might be the right person!
The Northern Utah Youth Symphony announces an opening for a new Managing Director-in-Training, set to take over the Managing Director position by May of 2022, when the current Managing Director will retire.
It is anticipated that the Managing Director-in-Training will work alongside the current Managing Director beginning August 2021; therefore, time is of the essence in this search.
The Managing Director of the Northern Utah Youth Symphony:
- Works closely with and supports the Conductor/Music Director, currently Conrad Dunn
- Gets to know the youth in the orchestra, and enjoys working with them
- Attends monthly Lake Bonneville Symphonic Society Board Meetings as Youth Symphony Liaison (zoom option available)
- Runs rehearsals each Saturday morning in Perry, Utah, September through April
- Communicates regularly with parents and musicians
- Works closely with the managing director of the Chamber Orchestra (younger group)
- Updates website as needed
- Sets up three concert venues per year
- Oversees students' music checkout and return (in collaboration with a librarian)
- Takes roll and manages musicians' attendance
- Brings in section specialists and clinicians (as contract labor)
- Facilitates a yearly retreat each October
- Sets up transportation to Abravanel Hall for the springtime Youth Symphony Festival
- Oversees parent volunteers
- Lives in the Cache/Box Elder/Weber county area
- Plans to come and stay on a long term basis, becoming part of the core of this non-profit organization
- Addresses all aspects of managing a dynamic orchestra of motivated Jr High and High School age musicians in their love of music and ensemble
There is a stipend for this position, paid quarterly, amount DOE.
Music, management and youth symphony experience preferred but not required.
Background check is required.
Submit inquiries to email@example.com.
Julie Gardner, currently the Managing Director, Northern Utah Youth Symphony
Please note: This email went out "BCC" to "All Contacts" for the last decade or so, a seldom-used list, just to be sure to catch as many people in the network as possible. Apologies for the intrusion!